Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Independent National Electoral Commissioner (INEC) has tasked security agencies to arrest and prosecute those who brutalised one of its national commissioners deployed to Adamawa State for Saturday’s supplementary governorship poll. INEC National Commissioner, Festus Okoye, disclosed this to newsmen in Birnin Kebbi on Sunday.
2. Senator Dino Melaye has emerged the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate for the November 11 governorship election in Kogi State. The party’s primary election was held at Kafa’s Hall event centre in Lokoja amid tight security.
3. Atiku Slams INEC Over Adamawa Election, Calls For Arrest Of REC.The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential Candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has called out the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) over the Adamawa state supplementary election. Atiku made his reaction known following the announcement of Aishatu Binani, the gubernatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the winner of the election by the INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC)
4. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Dr Nasiru Idris, winner of Kebbi State Governorship Election. Returning officer in the state, Professor Sa’idu Yusuf said the APC candidate won the election by polling 409,225 votes against his rival, Aminu Bande of the Peoples Democratic party (PDP) who polled 360,940 votes.
5. The Department of State Services (DSS) says it has launched an investigation into an attack on one of its personnel in Adamawa State. The secret police said this in a statement on Sunday evening. A DSS official was also recorded when he was being assaulted by persons believed to be working for politicians.
6.The apex body of all youth organisations in Nigeria, National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN), Osun State chapter has lauded Governor Ademola Adeleke’s developmental strides within a short period of time.The organisation posited that Governor Adeleke’s administration, in its first 100 days, redirected the government’s efforts towards meeting the needs of the people.
7.Governor Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri of Adamawa State has appealed for calm amidst tension that rocked the state after the Resident Electoral Commissioner, Hudu Yunusa Ari, declared Aishatu Binani of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the winner of the governorship election in the state. He said Ari since the beginning of the election was bent on pushing the patience of the people to the limit.
8. The Independent National Electoral Commission has announced the cancellation of the supplementary election for Ikono/Ini Federal Constituency in Akwa Ibom State following widespread violence. The Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Dr Cyril Omorogbe, disclosed this to newsmen in his office in Uyo on Saturday, describing the rerun in the area as abysmal.
9.The Chancellor of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso, HRM Sergeant Chidi Awuse has promised that he will deploy every resource at his disposal to enhance the success of the university.This is according to the statement by the institution’s Deputy Registrar, Public and Alumni Relations, Olalekan Fadeyi on Sunday.
10. The Kaduna State Government has confirmed yet another attack by gunmen in the Runji village of Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of the state. Although reports claimed that no fewer than 22 people were killed, the state government only said several people were killed in the Saturday attack.
11. Unknown gunmen have kidnapped an official of the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps, Popoola Olasupo, while on his way to his duty post alongside one other member of the corps. Olasupo was reportedly kidnapped around 6.30 am on Sunday around the Eledumare-Fidiwo axis of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in the Obafemi-Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State.
12. The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Iwo Federal Constituency, Osun has held a special prayer for the President-elect, Bola Tinubu and Adegboyega Oyetola, the immediate past governor of the state.The special prayer was held in Iwo on Sunday by the youth wing of the party in collaboration with forum of ward chairmen during their first annual Ramadan lecture.
13. The Federal Government has been advised by the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) not to increase taxes as it will have a negative impact on households, individuals and businesses.Adewale-Smatt Oyerinde, NECA’s Director-General in a statement on Sunday said that such a move would only lead to disaster for an economy struggling to stay afloat.
14. Manchester United secured a crucial 2-0 victory against struggling Nottingham Forest on Sunday, as Antony stepped up with a goal and an assist. With several key players out due to injury, including Marcus Rashford and Raphael Varane, United faced a challenging match at the City Ground.
15. Nigerian music sensation Rema shared in a recent interview with Z100 New York about his decision to give all his earnings to his mother.The 21-year-old revealed that even though it was cool to drive around the city in a fancy car as a 17-year-old, he couldn’t do that when his mother didn’t even have a car.
16.The Chairman of the African Union (AU) Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat, will travel “immediately” to Sudan “to engage the parties towards a ceasefire”, amid the violent clashes in the country.In a statement issued after an emergency meeting of the organisation’s Peace and Security Council on Sunday afternoon, the AU expressed “deep concern” about the situation and urged the forces of Sudan’s two generals in charge to “protect civilians.”
17. Four persons have been arrested by the Ogun State Police Command in connection with the disappearance of the corpse of an 86-year-old man.It was alleged that the corpse of Joel Omiran disappeared from a mortuary located in Abeokuta, Ogun State.
Leave a reply