Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has said registration for this year’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) has ended after a one-week extension.
Head of Public Affairs and Protocol, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, announced this in a statement yesterday in Abuja.
JAMB granted the extension to accommodate candidates who could not register within the allowable window of January 14 to February 14.
Benjamin said at the close of registration, about 1.6 million candidates had registered.
“This number does not include Direct Entry component of the exercise, which started on Monday, February 20, before it was put on hold on Tuesday.
The board registrar’s monitoring team was in Nasarawa and Delta states on the final day to oversee its conclusion.
“In Asaba, Delta State, the team visited Trinity Innovation Hub CBT Centre; Delta State Polytechnic, Ogwashi-Uku CBT Centre 1 and 2; Delta State Library CBT and others.
“It was remarkable that none of these centres had any candidates waiting to be registered, indicating that almost all candidates who desired to register for the exercise had done so,” he said.
Benjamin also said the same situation happened in other centres in Nasarawa State as few candidates were seen at the centres a day to closing date.
The JAMB spokesman said these were cleared before the close of work.
According to him, from every indication, this year’s exercise is the smoothest the board ever had.
“However, based on reports from monitoring teams, the board will review its SIM number swap policy.
“This is because, it will require the telcos to confirm that the old SIM being put forward for swapping belonged to the applicant but had been issued to another person,” he said.
The JAMB spokesperson added that this would preclude the possibility of a “SIM welcome back” before such swapping would be approved.