Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. President Bola Tinubu will hold bilateral meetings with his counterparts, or their delegations, from France, the United States of America, Sweden and two others at the Paris Financial Pact Summit, which begins Thursday. The Special Adviser to the President on Special Duties, Communication and Strategy, Dele Alake, spoke with journalists in Paris on Wednesday.
2. The Benue State Assembly on Wednesday recommended the suspension of all 23 elected local government chairmen and their councillors in the state.
The lawmakers also recommended that the chairmen immediately hand over the affairs of their respective councils to their Directors of General Service and Administration.
3. The British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Richard Montgomery, on Wednesday said some “big and important economic decisions” being taken by the President Bola Tinubu-led administration in Nigeria are being noticed around the world.
4. Governor Bassey Otu of Cross River State has exclaimed that he was misled to believe that over 40 percent of the government workforce had retired. While receiving the organised labour in his office, the governor said he was shocked by the increase in the nominal roll after being briefed that the population of civil servants had drastically reduced.
5. A Federal High Court in Abuja has reinstated Mahadi Aliyu Gusau as the Deputy Governor of Zamfara State. Gusau and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) filed the action over the moves that eventually led to his impeachment in February 2022 by the Zamfara State House of Assembly.
6. Members of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF), led by former President Goodluck Jonathan, have arrived in Freetown, Sierra Leone’s capital, ahead of Saturday’s general election.The Communications Officer of the Goodluck Jonathan Foundation, Wealth Dickson Ominabo, confirmed their arrival in a statement on Wednesday.
7. Pan Yoruba socio-political organisation, Afenifere, has lauded President Bola Tinubu on changing service chiefs. This is as it has urged the president to quickly fulfil his promise to provide security agencies with all they need to deliver on their responsibilities.
8. At least six persons were killed when gunmen invaded Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State on Tuesday. It was gathered that the incident happened in RahossSambak village of Rahoss. In a message signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Jare Ajayi, the group expressed optimism that the security situation, which President Muhammadu Buhari’s former administration failed to improve, would be better under Tinubu.
9. The Abia State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of the pastor of the Assemblies of God Church, Chukwuemeka Orji, for allegedly defiling a 13-year-old female domestic worker in the Aba area of the state. The state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Chinaka Maureen, who confirmed Orji’s arrest, said an investigation into the case was ongoing.
10. The Catholic Priest of Otukpo Diocese, Rev. Fr. Anthony Adikwu, who was kidnapped by gunmen in the Ohimini Local Government Area of Benue State last Thursday, has regained his freedom. Confirming the priest’s release, the state Police Public Relations, SP Catherine Anene, said he was rescued on Tuesday.