Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, on Monday, lamented that most of the people who are supposed to operationalise the Nigerian Constitution are the ones undermining the country’s democracy. According to Obasanjo, an example of constitutional abuse is a situation where members of the National Assembly fix their own salaries.
2. The Governor of Niger State, Mohammed Umar Bago has terminated the appointment of all political office holders appointed before May 29, 2023. According to a statement issued by the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Abubakar Usman on Monday, Governor Bago ordered the dissolution and termination of the appointments with immediate effect.
3. The National Chairman of Labour Party, LP, Barrister Julius Abure has charged members of the party to be prepared for a presidential rerun. He said he had been informed that President Bola Tinubu’s All Progressives Congress (APC) led government was also getting set for a rerun.
4. No fewer than eight persons, including an eight-month-old baby, have been killed in Farin Lamba community of Vwang District of Jos South Local Government Area (LGA) of Plateau State. The attack took place at Sabon Gari community of Mangu LGA of the state.
5. Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has extended his one-month medical leave indefinitely. The notice of extension was contained in a letter to the Ondo State House of Assembly.
6. Member representing Jos South/Jos East Federal Constituency of Plateau State in the House Representatives, Dachung Musa Bagos has asked his constituents to embrace constitutional means of defending themselves. Bagos said this in reaction to the renewed killings in Mangu and Jos South Local Government Areas of the state.
7. President Bola Tinubu returned to Abuja on Monday evening after a two-day official visit to Bissau, the capital of Guinea-Bissau for the 63rd Ordinary Session of the Authority of Heads of State and Government of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). President Tinubu arrived at the Presidential Wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, around 6:30 pm aboard the NAF 001 Boeing 737 jet.
8. Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Matthew Kukah, has said Nigerians experienced the worst type of corruption during the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari than any other before him. Kukah who spoke on Monday during an even in Ekiti State, said that even though corruption did not start during Buhari’s tenure, it was amplified morally, financially and in other terms in the last administration.
9. A 72-year-old resident of Ede, Osun State, Kareem Aderemi, has died by suicide after reportedly shooting himself with a gun at his residence in the Ede area of Osun State. The Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps in the state, Kehinde Adeleke, confirmed the incident on Monday.
10. Policemen attached to the Tolu Division of the Lagos State Police Command have arrested five suspected cult members during initiation in the Ajegunle area of the state. The suspects include Peter Odumola, 19, Promise Benjamin, 20, Emmanuel Ikechuckwu, 19, Richards Adu, 18, and Abdullahi Nasiru, 20.