Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Vice-President, Kashim Shettima, and former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar met at a wedding ceremony in Abuja on Saturday. This is one of the rare meetings between the duo since a legal dispute began over the 2023 General Elections.
2. President Bola Tinubu on Saturday charged the United Nations (UN) to firm up its position against unconstitutional power takeovers and coup d’etat, lamenting the prevalence of the unconstitutionality in West Africa. Tinubu, who made the call in Nairobi, Kenya, also called on African leaders to respect democracy, the rule of law, ensure political stability and disincentivize coup d’etat on the continent.
3. Mass defection is looming in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Kaduna, as prominent members are set to quit the party in droves. The indication became clearer on Saturday as a prominent spokesperson of the Party’s Campaign Council, Alhaji Yakubu Lere, resigned his membership of the party to join the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
4. The Federal Government has filed a two-count charge of illegal possession of firearms and ammunition against the suspended governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele before the Federal High Court in Abuja. The FG is accusing Emefiele of possessing 123 rounds of live ammunition without a licence.
5. The Aare Onakakanfo of Yoruba land, Iba Gani Adams on Saturday warned Simon Ekpa, factional leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, to stop the planned sit-at-home protest in Lagos State. Ekpa had said the sit-at-home protest currently being enforced in the South East will be done in Lagos State.
6. Residents of Onibukun community, in the Atan-Ota area of Ogun State, are in panic after suspected land grabbers engaged one another in a gun battle. It was learnt that the clash had been on for about three weeks, as residents lived in tension. The fight was also said to have paralysed business activities and the movement of people.
7. A residential building was razed with properties destroyed in the early hours of Saturday on Cascol Street in the Ojo area of Lagos State. It was gathered that the inferno started after a camp gas exploded in the eight-room bungalow. The spokesperson for the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Services, Amodu Shakiru, confirmed the incident.
8. Mr Julius Abure, National Chairman of the Labour Party on Saturday said the party has strategically positioned itself to win the 2024 governorship election in Edo State. Abure said this when Mr Stephen Osemwegie, a governorship aspirant of the party, paid an official visit to the party’s Secretariat in Abuja.
9. An unidentified female hawker was on Saturday crushed to death by a diesel-laden tanker at Otedola bridge inward Berger area of Lagos State. It was gathered that the truck with number plate GME 483XD also rammed into three moving vehicles. The Permanent Secretary of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu confirmed the incident in a statement.
10. Six suspects identified as Afam Ezenwa, Chijioke Ifeanyi, Collins Obadom, Abuchi Okechukwu, Chima Obiekezie and Sunday Okafor have been arrested for allegedly gang-raping a 19-year-old girl in Anam, Anambra West Local Government Area of Anambra State. The suspects were said to have carried out the act after ambushing and forcing the victim into a room, where they took turns to defile her.